3/1/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- “The House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday rejected a Democratic attempt to request information on President Trump’s possible conflicts of interest and potential ties to Russia. The panel voted on party lines to send a resolution from Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) to the House with an unfavorable recommendation, making it unlikely to get a vote by the full House.” http://thehill.com/policy/finance/321674-house-panel-blocks-dem-effort-on-trumps-potential-business-conflicts Let’s keep up the pressure on our members of the House to let them know that WE, the people, think this needs to happen.
- From 5 Calls: Help DACA recipients by asking your MoC to support the BRIDGE Act: S.128 and H.R. 496. Information and call script can be found here: https://5calls.org/#issue/rece7Uc2zay3scFlV
- From Weekly Actions to Resist Trump: #SaveObamacare, Protect the Medicaid Expansion: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/
- From 5 Calls: Attorney General Jeff Sessions has reversed the Obama Administration's decision not to renew contracts with for-profit prisons. Call the Department of Justice to speak out against this decision and for-profit prisons. Call script and phone number: https://5calls.org/#issue/recw7FWAST5dHU1bo
- Net neutrality is in the news. Why is net neutrality so important? https://www.wired.com/2014/01/three-dangers-net-neutrality-nobodys-really-talking/ FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is seeking to break down data security and privacy protections through ISPs. This is an attack on net neutrality, and cannot be tolerated. Read more about Pai's move: http://n.pr/2mjxi0A Contact: 1) FCC at 1-888-225-5322, 2) Commissioner Mignon Clyburn at: Mignon.Clyburn@fcc.gov, and 3) Commissioner Michael O'Rielly e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Let your legislators know how the EPA has improved your life and the lives of your children. Here are some things to think about before you call: 1) http://www.greatlakesnow.org/2017/02/great-lakes-scientist-says-if-we-lose-the-epa-we-lose-lake-erie/ and 2) https://www.nrdc.org/resources/how-epa-protects-our-environment-and-health
- Call your representatives to voice your opposition to H.R. 637. "This bill amends the Clean Air Act to exclude carbon dioxide, water vapor, methane, nitrous oxide, hydrofluorocarbons, perfluorocarbons, and sulfur hexafluoride pollution from the scope of that Act". It will undo decades of progress. http://augustafreepress.com/kind-impact-will-trump-administration-environment/
- From Postcards for America: Postcard to oppose S. J. Res.15, which would release 250 million acres of public lands for mining and oil digging. Details here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpSHppZ0lsLWhudmM
- The GOP wanted to do away with the ACA immediately, but is having trouble doing so. Let’s keep calling our legislators to tell them that we need them to make sure that the healthcare of Americans is protected. Tell our own stories of your own healthcare issues. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/obamacare-emergency-trump-speech-235512
- From one of our own: In keeping with the above, we know there is plenty of probable cause for an independent investigation into Trump’s ties to Russia and that we need to keep the pressure on everywhere we can. Even 45’s intelligence nominee, former Sen. Coats supports an investigation: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-coats-idUSKBN1672FC Please make the following contacts asking for an investigation. Our country cannot move on until this is done
- Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism, https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/subcommittees , Majority Office: 202-224-5972; Minority Office: 202-224-2921
- And another GOP survey, State of the Union Survey: https://gop.com/state-of-the-union-survey/
- From one of our own: In addition to the desecration of Jewish cemeteries, bomb threats against Jewish community centers are increasing and how have affected 11 states. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/27/517539505/bomb-threats-made-against-jewish-community-centers-in-11-states . While the current administration wants to put the blame on the Dems, we know otherwise. Let’s call (202.638.6688) and email (RJC@rjchq.org) the Republican Jewish Coalition and ask them to speak up. Use this as a guide: "Hi - I'm calling today about the epidemic of bomb threats at Jewish schools and centers around the country - today there are reports of threats in 11 states in addition to the desecrated cemeteries in St. Louis and Philadelphia. I'm concerned that as representatives of President Trump's party, the Republican Jewish Coalition has been silent on these matters. I urge you to make a statement condemning these threats, and publicly confront President Trump and the rest of the GOP for their complicit silence on this matter. If there is no connection of these threats to the GOP, then you all should condemn these actions and encourage your peers to stand with you. If no one raises a voice, we risk allowing these threats to become real. As Republicans, you have a duty and are entitled to ask more of your party. I implore you to take action today. Thank you."
- Let’s thank Hyatt for such a wonderful ad on international empathy during the Oscars on Sunday evening. http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/24/hyatt-launches-new-global-campaign-focusing-on-empathy-ad-to-run-during-oscars.html Contact Hyatt here: Hyatt Hotels Corporation, 71 South Wacker Dr 12th Floor, Chicago, IL 60606 or comment on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/hyatt/videos/1316944635010156/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE
- From RISE Stronger: Take a look at all we have helped accomplish! This was posted as 45 began his address to the joint session of Congress last evening: https://www.facebook.com/RISEStronger.org/posts/344415682619032
- New smartphone app: “During the month of March, we challenge you to become a digital activist (“apptivist”) with like-minded folks. iMarchToday is a free app (available for iOS on March 1 and Android soon) that allows moments of group activism with the press of a button. This 31-day digital march on Washington is a peaceful digital protest that shows our voices are louder when we shout together.” Like them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/imarchtoday/ or follow them on Twitter: @iMarchToday
Petitions to Sign
- Join Organization for Action (OFA) in speaking out against Congress’ move to roll back commonsense climate protections: https://www.ofa.us/speak-out-against-cra-abuse/
- Want an opportunity to learn more about world religions? Harvard is offering a free-online class, World Religions Through Their Scriptures, for everyone to do just that! For those interested in earning a certificate of achievement at the end of the series, edX offers a non-audit track for $50.Take a look here: https://www.edx.org/xseries/world-religions-through-scriptures#why-xseries
- The money behind the distrust of mainstream news: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/26/robert-mercer-breitbart-war-on-media-steve-bannon-donald-trump-nigel-farage
- Fact-checking Trumps address to Congress: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/feb/28/fact-checking-donald-trumps-address-congress/