2/9/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
- Let’s contact Sen. Warren to thank her for her diligence in speaking up on our behalf time and time again. Here is the 1986 letter from Coretta Scott King opposing Sessions that the GOP stopped Warren from reading during the discussion Tuesday evening. It is one we all should read: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988/Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.pdf The words of the letter are still relevant.
- From Michael Moore: “Throughout my life I have watched Senators speak vile, hateful words about women, Black people, Vietnamese, Mexicans, young people, Arabs, environmentalists, peaceniks, gays and others -- but NEVER have I seen them vote to shut a single one of them up. Until last night, when Senator Elizabeth Warren attempted to read a letter from the late Coretta Scott King addressed to the United States Senate. That's when Warren was ruled to shut up and sit down. And when she appealed, the Republicans voted to silence her under "Rule 19." This morning you need to once again flood the Senate switchboard with angry, righteous calls demanding that the Senate take the virtual gag off her and let her speak. If we let them get away with this... you know what's coming. They are attempting to create an authoritarian, totalitarian state. If you've been hiding in your bubble, it's best to come out now. US Senate: 202-225-3121 or 202-224-3121. Keep dialing like your democracy depends on it. Let them know we are a large, massive, outraged nonviolent mob representing the majority of our country and we will not be Rule 19'd. We will Rule 19 them out of office! They need to know that the Women's March on Washington NEVER ends.”
3. The Election Assistance Commission Termination Act, H.R.634 has passed committee. This independent agency is the only federal agency that makes sure voting machines can’t be hacked. Call your House representatives and ask them to oppose this legislation! Read more about the bill here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/07/house-panel-votes-close-election-assistance-commission/97603326/ and follow its progress here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/634
- Trump is having lunch with senators from West Virginia, North Dakota, Indiana, and Montana, possibly working on garnering their support for Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch. If you are a constituent in these states, make sure that your voice continues to be heard, and that your senators don't start playing into Trump's pocket just to have his support. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/318460-trump-to-host-centrist-dems-at-white-house
Other Contacts to Make
- In an ABC video, Trump says that he’s not received or heard about any complaints about the DAPL or Keystone pipeline executive order. https://www.facebook.com/ABCNews/videos/10155368445678812 Shall we let him know how we feel about desecrating Native burial grounds and running the risk of damaging the water supply (a risk that was averted to protect the water for the folks in Bismark (https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-12-01/bismarck-residents-got-dakota-access-pipeline-moved-without-fight))? Since the White House is not taking citizen calls, use these methods: send postcards (letters take longer for safety reasons) to: Trump @ 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500 or their comment page: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact#page or Twitter: @
- There are mixed messages being offered regarding this weekend’s counter protest at Planned Parenthood clinics around the country. Best advice is to contact your local clinic and ask them if your peaceful presence would be welcome or if there are other ways you could support them. http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=542e52557cb249fb2535906ea&id=2b9a60bbfd&e=4e77fc70f6
- From one of our own: Please do something truly affirming and deeply kind for your child's teacher tomorrow. And the next day, and the day after. And then, in 2018, do something REALLY nice for them (and your child) and work your tail off to get pro-public education candidates elected at every level of government.
- DeVos is Secretary of Education, and your help is needed now more than ever. Check out this list of 20 ways you can help public education: http://www.upworthy.com/betsy-devos-is-our-education-secretary-heres-what-to-do-next
- There is a new site out there to help us counter burnout, or “resistance fatigue” as it is sometimes called. The coordinator hopes the approach she is taking could help resisters stay the course. “…this brief weekly letter will help you maintain motivation and keep the resistance going strong. Several fantastic resources exist to highlight our most important daily action items; I'd like to help keep us sane .” Signup here: http://www.tinyletter.com/revel-reflect-recharge . There is a FB page as well: https://www.facebook.com/revel.reflect.recharge/.
- From RISE
Stronger: PEOPLE'S CALENDAR OF TOWN
HALLS, PROTESTS, RALLIES, MEETINGS. PLEASE SHARE: We at RISE
Stronger want to help you find information about Congressional Town Halls,
protests, marches, special elections, and other events all in once place.
Our volunteers have come together to build the People's Calendar, a
crowd-sourced initiative that will let you search by you zipcode or state,
see location maps of town halls/protests/marches/etc, and you can sign up
to get email alerts when your representatives schedule the next town hall
or when the next protest pops up. We are adding information about your
Representatives, their voting records, and more. This is still a work in
progress and we are all volunteers trying to do our part in the fight. We
hope this is helpful and please let us know how we can keep improving
this. It's a calendar by the people, for the people! Please share! https://www.risestronger.org/events
If you have feedback, would like to help gather data, or want to work with us to improve the calendar, please email us at email@example.com
Petitions to Sign
- Trump's EPA nominee, Scott Pruitt, has called the risks from climate change "speculative guess work" and said the debate is "far from settled." He advocates for Big Polluters while receiving nearly $350,000 in contributions from the fossil fuel industry. Show your support for Sen. Peters (D-MI) who is calling out Pruitt for attacking the EPA's lifesaving public health standards. Not only can you contact Sen. Peters himself, but you can sign this petition from the League of Conservation Voters: https://secure3.convio.net/lcv/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3707&s_src=FBAds&s_subsrc=champs
- Tell Costco to remove its advertising from Breitbart, the alt-right online source that spews hate against women, LGBTQ+ people, Muslims and people of color. Let’s encourage Costco to join the 900 other companies who have done this! https://actions.sumofus.org/a/tell-costco-to-stop-investing-in-hate
- Very good information here: Pro Tips from a High-level Staffer for a Senator http://docdro.id/Ea1hiZv
- Today’s sustenance from Jen Hofmann: Insight from a 300-year-old Tree: https://jenniferhofmann.com/insight-300-year-old-tree/
- “A Word of Advice from Martin Luther King Jr.’s Daughter: Resist” https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/02/08/a-word-of-advice-from-martin-luther-king-jr-s-daughter-resist/?utm_term=.8515c5f3d90d