2/8/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
- From Project 1461: Remember how relentless Sen.Chaffetz was with Benghazi and and Clinton’s emails? We need to let him know that we know he is not really doing his job right now. Details here: https://www.project1461.org/daily-call-to-action/tell-jason-chaffetz-were-still-paying-attention
- Regarding the DeVos vote, give your senators a call and let them know you're paying attention. Thank them if they voted against her, and let them know you're holding them accountable if they voted "aye" and that you'll remember their vote come re-election. The future of ALL our children’s education is in their hands.
- Shortly after the DeVos vote, a bill was introduced in the house to eliminate the Department of Education with the reasoning that the appropriate policy makers for education are those at the state and local level.
- Congresswoman Jackie Speier (D-CA) H.J. Res. 53, a joint resolution that will remove the deadline and finally allow for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA). “When asked, 96 percent of Americans think that women and men should have equal rights, and 88 percent believe that our Constitution should affirm those rights, while 72 percent of Americans mistakenly believe the Constitution already includes such a guarantee,” Rep. Speier said. “Given the current political climate, and the overwhelming support, it’s clear that the ERA is still a necessity. As the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia explained in a Supreme Court opinion, ‘Certainly the Constitution does not require discrimination on the basis of sex. The only issue is whether it prohibits it. It doesn’t.’”https://speier.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congresswoman-speier-introduces-resolution-ratify-equal-rights-amendment Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) introduced companion legislation two weeks earlier. H.J. Res. 53 currently has 135 cosponsors. Contact your legislators and tell them to get on board with this. The time is long past for this to be the law of the land.
- From the Weekly Resistance: Trump's Muslim and refugee ban is bigoted, dangerous, cruel and un-American. We cannot let it stand. But Congressional Republican leadership isn't allowing action on Democratic efforts to get rid of it once and for all. So we're calling Congress and demanding they use every tool they have to force a vote on ending the ban for good. Go here for all the details: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/
- Donald Trump campaigned for President on a promise to obstruct and derail action on climate change at every level. And, so far, his Administration is doing just that. From cabinet picks to policy statements (or tweets), it’s clear the Trump Administration’s goal is to undermine progress on climate change. It’s up to us to make sure that doesn’t happen. Please join Greenpeace in members of Congress on notice that you expect them to protect the commitments made under the Paris Agreement to fight climate change and that you’ll be holding them accountable. https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2059
Other Contacts to Make
- Let’s call our new Secretary of Education and let her know what is important to us? Is it the student debt crisis, enforcing special education law, keeping guns out of schools, how important quality public education is to our country, the needs of low-income school districts?? We all know there are so many concerns. It is time to tell her. Let's welcome her to the job, and remind her of what it is she should do. She wanted this so much she spent a fortune on it. Let's make it worth her while. Call her: 202-401-3000 or fax her: 202-260–7867 (use faxZERO for 5 free faxes a day: https://faxzero.com/ )
- From Postcards for America: Let’s join in this postcard avalanche and send postcards to “President Bannon”. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/02/07/postcards-to-bannon-critics--president-bannon-trump/97579950/ ) Details on the postcard avalance here: https://www.facebook.com/events/167825807046205/
- From Progressive Friends: Please feel free to comment on Franklin Graham’s FB page where he defends the “potential executive order from the president to protect religious freedom in this country”, i.e., legalizing discrimination by religion: https://www.facebook.com/FranklinGraham/posts/1401794403210070
- Get the word out for everyone to start using The People’s Calendar, a national political event site created by RISE Stronger. Not only can you find events, but you can add them as well! https://www.risestronger.org/events Let’s make this OUR calendar!
- Rogan's List members who want to take action on Michigan issues can receive a weekly e-mail of to-do items by signing up at www.MichiganResistance.org.
4. The organizers for the Women's March on Washington are planning a general strike, with a date to be determined. http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/stevens/ct-day-without-women-protest-balancing-0207-20170207-column.html Follow Women’s March on social media to keep up to date and get organized: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/womensmarchonwash/ and Twitter: https://twitter.com/womensmarch
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has granted the easement for DAPL, cutting short the environmental impact assessment, as well as public comment. "The Indigenous Coalition at Standing Rock is calling for February 8th to be an international day of emergency actions to disrupt business as usual and unleash a global intersectional resistance to fossil fuels and fascism." See more information here: http://sacredstonecamp.org/blog/2017/2/7/breaking-army-corps-to-grant-dakota-access-easement A call for emergency actions all over the world. PLEASE, THIS IS OUR LAST STAND. Please visit everydayofaction.org to find or register an action wherever you are. Check out our world action map at bit.ly/nodapl2017
Petitions to Sign
- Join ParentsTogether Action in working to save PBS Kids! “What will happen to PBS Kids if Trump’s cuts to public broadcasting go through?No one knows for sure. But a 2012 report by Booz & Company predicted “the loss of federal support would mean the end of public broadcasting.”” Read and sign here (scroll all the way to the bottom for two different signing options): http://parentstogetheraction.org/2017/01/27/save-pbs-kids/
- From Political News for Nasty Women & Bad Hombres: Whether it is called redistricting or gerrymandering, here is a good explanation of why it is linked to voter suppression: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/01/this-is-the-best-explanation-of-gerrymandering-you-will-ever-see/?utm_term=.4b70f569d389
- Fortune magazine article explains why all the protests may not result in Congressional seat changes in 2018. Let’s prove them wrong. http://fortune.com/2017/02/05/2018-republicans-democrats/
- Social media is an easy way to say something, but it’s a difficult way to be heard. Thunderclap is the first-ever crowdspeaking platform that helps people be heard by saying something together. It allows a single message to be mass-shared, flash mob-style, so it rises above the noise of your social networks. By boosting the signal at the same time, Thunderclap helps a single person create action and change like never before. https://www.thunderclap.it/