2/27/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- Amnesty International is asking that we call ICE to demand the release of Sara Beltran Hernandez, a mother who is in need of immediate medical attention, but who is being detained instead. Amnesty International has background information, the phone number to call, and a call script: http://amnestyusa.org/sites/default/themes/candle/sara_beltran_1.html
- From Postcards for America: On February 9, 2017, Representative Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) took the extraordinary step of filing a "resolution of inquiry" in the U.S. House that could force a House investigation into Donald Trump’s financial CONFLICTS OF INTEREST and TIES TO THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT.Media reports have called Rep. Nadler’s action the “most aggressive move” yet by Democrats. If Rep. Nadler is successful, the Department of Justice will have "to provide Congress with the basic information required to conduct an inquiry into President Trump and his associates" conflicts of interest, ethical violations—including the Emoluments Clause—and connections to the Russian government." The DOJ will also have to provide information related to "any criminal or counterintelligence investigation targeting President Donald J. Trump, National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, Paul Manafort, Carter Page, Roger Stone, or any employee of the Executive Office of the President.” BUT, the GOP put it down to be voted on within the House Judiciary Committee this Tuesday (tomorrow). There are 23 GOP and 16 Dems in that Committee. Call if YOUR REP is one of them! The members are from: AL AZ CA CO FL GA IA ID IL LA MD MI NY OH PA RI SC TN TX VA WA WI. Number and more info here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EB36gidOrIqr7dp-2iUcSKn6LKIZlAbiNnjYz650XzE/edit
- The Michigan Breastfeeding Network has drafted a letter to the U.S. House and Senate, asking them to keep the protections for breastfeeding mothers in place. Under the ACA, insurance providers are required to cover lactation consultants and breast pumps. The ACA also mandates break time for nursing mothers. Sign the letter here (you do not need to be a Michigan resident): http://www.mibreastfeeding.org/sign-letter
- From one of our own: Ruth Bader Ginsberg’s (84th) birthday is March 15. Let’s send her birthday postcards thanking her for her service and her willingness to continue. Use this address: Supreme Court of the United States, 1 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20543
- We know that the Russia-Trump connection is one of the biggest issues right now. It is imperative that we contact our legislators to let them know that this needs to be addressed and that this move by Preibus asking the FBI to intervene/ cover it up is unconscionable. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/25/trump-russia-fbi-white-house-priebus
- From Project 1461: End Taxpayer Bankrolling of Trump’s Lavish Lifestyle: more info here: https://www.project1461.org/daily-call-to-action/22617-end-taxpayer-bankrolling-of-trumps-lavish-lifestyle
- From Wall-of-Us: According to the Immigrant Legal Resource Center (ILRC), “Local law enforcement has no legal obligation to assist with civil immigration enforcement, which is the responsibility of the federal government.” ILRC goes on to explain why sheriffs are key to fighting mass deportations.” Call your local sheriff tell them not to make this issue theirs. Use the info here: https://www.wall-of-us.org/weekly-acts-of-resistance/2017/2/24/action-2-call-the-sheriff-to-stop-trumps-anti-immigration-policies
- Trump called the mission a success, and criticized detractors of the raid, saying those who question its success dishonor Ryan Owens’ memory. However the slain SEAL's father, himself a veteran, says differently. "Don’t hide behind my son’s death to prevent an investigation." http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article135064074.html Contact your legislators letting them know that you side with Owens’ dad and support an investigation.
- The White House has issued a survey in advance of 45’s address to the joint session of Congress on Tuesday evening. The survey wants to know what issues WE want Trump to focus on and ideas for the future of the country. The survey is here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/joint-address-issues-survey#page
- We are invited to join in a Twitter Storm on Tuesday, Feb. 28 in conjunction with the House Judiciary Committee’s vote whether or not to seek a formal inquiry into Trump’s interactions with Russia. Details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/947974112006108/
- NPR station KUT (Austin, TX) is conducting a study to see where people get their news from and what they consider to be trustworthy sources. The survey is short and takes less than 5 minutes to complete: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ohreTSGUGZhSCaws-Ql-jQQfRkZYw3kg-EFVt-JjNCU/viewform?edit_requested=true
- From one of our own: Subscribe to Polar News: Daily reader that pairs articles with polarized perspectives to let intelligent newsreaders see both sides. http://www.getpolarnews.com/
- The White House Correspondents Association asks that we please send emails expressing our condemnation of the White House exclusion of select press members from White House briefings. Leave a message here: http://www.whca.net/contact.htm Let’s make sure to include our city and state to help show wide-spread condemnation of this.
- Perhaps you were among those of us who sent Valentine’s Day greetings to Sen. Warren through Wall-of-Us. If so, here are some photos the delivery: https://www.wall-of-us.org/warren Smile along with the Senator!
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s join in this petition to support a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United which has opened the floodgates on a torrent of unlimited, anonymous money and allowing special interests and billionaires to buy our elections.: http://petitions.signforgood.com/endcitizensunited
- Join with the Sierra Club in opposing a vast sulfide-ore copper mine that is being proposed on federal lands right next to and draining into the Boundary Waters. This proposal and others like it threaten to pollute the Boundary Waters for generations. Sign here; https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0071519&id=70131000001iOuIAAU
- Amy Siskind, president of The New Agenda (an organization "dedicated to improving the lives of women and girls by bringing about systemic change in the media, at the workplace, at school and at home." (https://thenewagenda.net/about-us/ )), has been publishing a weekly list of what has changed around us under the Trump administration. You can see read her lists here: https://medium.com/@Amy_Siskind
- It is horrifying to see a U.S. President’s name in this company: "Whether it is Trump, Orban, Erdoğan or Duterte, more and more politicians calling themselves anti-establishment are wielding a toxic agenda that hounds, scapegoats and dehumanizes entire groups of people." -- Salil Shetty, Secretary General of Amnesty International in its annual report: "https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2017/02/amnesty-international-annual-report-201617/
- Here’s an interesting article in the Harvard Business Review about why some people get burned out and others don’t: https://hbr.org/2016/11/why-some-people-get-burned-out-and-others-dont