1/30/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
- We are 3 votes short of blocking Betsy DeVos. If you live in ME, TN, AK, GA, UT, NC, WY, LA, KS, SC, or KY, call your Senators!! VOTE IS TUESDAY!!!!!!
- It seems that Sen. Rand Paul is undecided about DeVos. Damsels in Defiance needs our help with a special campaign that targets him on Monday from 11-3 Eastern Time. Here is a link to the campaign-https://damselsindefiance.org/event/enabling-campaign-rand-paul/ Join in!
- Talking with family and friends who support Trump: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/we-have-to-say-something_us_588b6548e4b0da1b94946dc9
- Greenpeace will be resisting every future attempt by the Trump Administration -- whether it’s attacking the Clean Power Plan, rolling back fuel efficiency standards, approving pipelines, or opening up the Arctic to drilling again -- to weaken our country’s ability to meet its climate commitments as defined in the historic agreement. Let’s join in this effort with them: https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2059
- If there were ever a time to support the ACLU, it is now. Here is their seven-point plan to take on the Trump administration. As we saw on Saturday evening, they are already working hard for us. For more informatin: https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/here-aclus-7-point-plan-action-take-trump-administration
- Good talking points to remember and use: Trump has said that he intends to get rid of 75% of government regulations. Congressional Republicans called for immediate elimination of regulations from the Food and Drug Administration, the Environmental Agency, and the Security and Exchange Commission. What would be eliminated? against cancerous poisons in foods, drugs untested for their safety, unsafe drinking water, air pollutants that get into your lungs and can’t get out, fraudulent stack sales, unscrupulous mortgages. That is what our president and Congress are proposing, hiding it behind the word “regulations.” When you talk with your legislators or others who want to eliminate regulations, shift the frame: always say “protections” instead of “regulations.” “Protections” is a more simple and accurate description. https://georgelakoff.com/2017/01/28/the-publics-viewpoint-regulations-are-protections/
- Medium.com has published “20 Ways You Can Act Now To Support Muslims/Immigrants + Resist DT: A Solidarity Sundays Emergency Guide.” Solidarity Sunday is “a nationwide network of feminist activist groups focused on taking action to resist Trump. On the 2nd Sunday of each month, we gather in homes across the country to…take action on the immediate issues that matter.”See the list here: https://medium.com/@kateschatz/20-ways-you-can-act-now-to-support-muslims-immigrants-resist-dt-a-solidarity-sundays-emergency-82c4b392bcfb#.i2h22hjii Find more ways to take action, or find a local Solidarity Sunday meeting here: https://www.solidaritysundays.org/
- The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) has compiled a list of do’s/don’ts for bystanders against violence or harassment: https://www.afsc.org/resource/dos-and-donts-bystander-intervention
- Want to find an organization where you can donate or volunteer? Here’s a list of 50 to get you started: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/50-groups-to-learn-about-if-youre-committed-to-intersectional-feminism_us_5887b050e4b0441a8f715df7
- Children are not immune to current events. Books are a great way to humanize others and teach compassion. Check out this list of children’s books that talk about what it’s like to be a refugee: http://www.readbrightly.com/books-to-help-kids-understand-what-its-like-to-be-a-refugee/
- White House petition from one of our own: Rescind your executive order stopping the refugee resettlement program and your illegal immigration ban based on national origin. Please sign: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/donald-trumps-anti-immigration-executive-order
Indivisible team is hosting a phone call tonight at 9pm EST regarding the executive order on
immigration. The call will discuss the legality of the order, and talk
about what you can do to fight it through congress. Details, as well as a
link to RSVP can be found here:
com/action-emails/2017/1/30/ week-of-january-30-emergency- call-to-stop-the-muslim-ban- and-more-indivisible-actions