12/26/16 To-do List
There is no special way to attack this action list. If it seems overwhelming, just do the first two items to make it easier. If you have a little more time, do the third….and the fourth…. Or, choose items that speak to your heart. Some people cut and paste the list, print it off and take it with them so they can check items off while they are out and about during the day and just waiting or driving. Others click and do items as they work on their computer or phone. There is no right way to do this. Just do something! Remember, too, that many of the suggestions made on earlier days are still doable.
Please remember that due to all the petitions and joining we’ve been doing over the last several weeks that we are now on many email lists for organizations that will most likely be seeking end-of-year charitable donations. While it may make for some less-than-desired email, please give what you can and be tolerant knowing that these organizations do so much good on our behalf.
- The Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on Sen. Sessions' nomination for Attorney General Jan. 10-11, 2017. Is one of your senators a member of the committee? If so, your voice is extra important. Please ask them to vote against Sessions: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members Please also contact Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and voice your opposition to Sessions as AG: http://www.grassley.senate.gov/explore/regional-offices
- VoteRiders is a non-partisan non-profit organization whose mission is to ensure that all citizens are able to exercise their right to vote. Take a look around their website, then click on “Get Involved” to see how you can help. http://www.voteriders.org/
- Please join the Environmental Defense Fund in telling Trump not to cancel the Paris Agreement. Climate change impacts every facet of American life — from public health to extreme weather to national security. Despite the fact that a majority of Americans, and even a majority of Republicans, support action on climate change. https://edf.fightforclimate.org/paris-agreement/
- Ultraviolet Action, an online community of women and men fighting sexism and expanding women's rights in politics and pop culture, has a petition to help stop the confirmation of Jeff Sessions for Attorney General. https://act.weareultraviolet.org/sign/stop_sessions/ You can also follow Ultraviolet Action on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/weareultraviolet/
- HIAS (Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) is the oldest international migration and refugee resettlement agency in the U.S. Please join them in telling President-elect Donald Trump to welcome refugees fleeing persecution and violence. http://support.hias.org/site/Survey?ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS&SURVEY_ID=3083&s_src=fbad&s_subsrc=trumpPetition_dla
- Townhall is the top source for conservative news, political cartoons, breaking news, election news and commentary on politics and the media culture. They’d like our opinion on the Electoral College. http://campaigns.townhall.com/electoral-college-th/ This will sign you up for future mailings from Townhall, but you will be able to counter their usual rhetoric with ours.
- Sen. Kirsten Gillbrand has an issues priority survey she needs help with: https://surveys.signforgood.com/keg_issuepriorities?
- We are still working on encouraging companies not to advertise on Breitbart. It is working! Over 200 companies have stopped. Here is a new way to help this along: http://adstrike.us/
- The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. Consider joining the national group: http://lwv.org/ and/or a local group: http://lwv.org/get-involved/local-leagues Also, consider “liking” their national Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/leagueofwomenvoters/?fref=ts and your local as well!
- Sign up and join this energetic group of young people whose goal is to efficiently target and organize efforts to retake both federal and state seats across the United States, The Resurgent Left: http://www.theresurgentleft.org/
- If you’d like to join other Democrats in thanking President Obama for his years of service, click here: https://my.democrats.org/page/s/thanks-president-obama?
- The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), a non-profit international environmental advocacy group, is concerned about preserving methane pollution standards that protect children. President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to roll back the standards for methane emissions to appease the cohort of climate deniers and industry lobbyists he’s bringing into his Administration. Let’s tell him that children’s lives are more important. https://nrdc.fightforclimate.org/methane-standards/
- Here’s another postcard avalanche brought to you by Postcards for America! https://www.facebook.com/groups/postcardsforamerica/