12/11/16 To-do List
There is no special way to attack this action list. If it seems overwhelming, just do the first two items to make it easier. If you have a little more time, do the third….and the fourth…. Or, choose items that speak to your heart. Some people cut and paste the list, print it off and take it with them so they can check items off while they are out and about during the day and just waiting or driving. Others click and do items as they work on their computer or phone. There is no right way to do this. Just do something! Remember, too, that many of the suggestions made on earlier days are still doable!
- Given the news about the Russian interference in this election, this would be another good time to once again contact our electors and remind them that we are watching and that we know that our founders had three main purposes in creating the Electoral College: 1) to stop a demagogue from becoming president, 2) stop foreign interference in election, and 3) prevent poor administration of government. It seems we’ve hit the jackpot in this election.
- Sign this White House petition calling for a new election in the wake of Russia’s involvement in our process: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/call-new-election-wake-russias-involvement-supporting-trump
- While you are at it, please thank the bipartisan leadership of Senators Schumer (D), Reed (D), McCain (R), and Graham (R), for seeking a full investigation into the CIA findings of Russian interference. These people know that their country is more important than their parties. https://www.schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck https://www.lgraham.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-senator-graham https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form https://www.reed.senate.gov/contact
- Add your name to uphold marriage equality: http://www.grassrootsact.com/vf-fb-marriage
- From an FB post: “Here is an action you can take: call the US attorney's office and the White House and ask them to halt the transfer of power immediately. The attorney general's office and the White House announced yesterday that an investigation into election hacking and the trump/Putin relationship will begin in two weeks, and won't end until January 20th. Please call the attorney General 202-353-1555 and Obama's message line 202-456-1111 and tell them you support a full investigation, but it needs to happen now, not in two weeks. Tell them you support halting the transfer of power until a full investigation is completed, and that trump should be investigated for treason. Call your representatives too. This link is easy to use. Click, type your zip code and tap the number to dial http://m.house.gov/representatives/ *pass this information on and encourage others to call. 4.5 million people signed the petition to the electoral college. Jill Stein raised 7 million dollars in a matter of days, and Clinton won the popular vote by a large margin. We can collectively stop the Trump from hijacking democracy if we are all vocal"
- Sign a White House petition asking SCOTUS, given the Russian hacking, to invalidate the election results and order a new election: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/scotus-invalidate-election-results-2016-order-new-election
- Tell the EPA to finalize strong tailpipe pollution standards before Trump takes office: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0062635&id=70131000001iOuIAAU
- Join Food and Water Watch’s effort to stop the appointment of Scott Pruitt to the EPA: https://secure.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2842&s_src=fbad&s_subsrc=120716b
- Sign the ACLU petition asking President Obama to delete the discriminatory registration program: https://action.aclu.org/secure/nseers?ms=web_161206_religiousliberty_racialjustice_immigrantrights_nationalsecurity_nseers
- Take part in “Postcards for Democracy” and send postcards to our electors .All the details you need are here: https://www.facebook.com/events/213538899090938/
- Hit the phones and ask your Representative to support the 1) Protecting Our Democracy Act and the 2) Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act of 2016. Find your reps here: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ For the backstory: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2016/12/10/lets-get-the-facts-right-on-foreign-involvement-in-our-elections/?postshare=4931481421487081&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.43a25e168e65
- Join a Care2 petition asking these companies to revaluate their ads on Breitbart: BMW, Chipotle, Dell, Chase, Nissan/Acura, Amazon, McDonald's http://www.thepetitionsite.com/953/831/865/sign-now-ask-these-companies-to-reevaluate-their-ads-on-breitbart/?taf_id=31790742&cid=fb_na
- If you’d like to write letters (the kind one mails) to our Michigan electors, this link provides names and addresses: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K7lvJIHaLhsoCIc7ByV0OPOFM8vMrhMbkhvxu7tJT-g/edit#gid=288852803
- The Michigan Election Reform Alliance (MERA) is a non-profit, non-partisan, pro-democracy, grassroots organization dedicated to the realization of election processes that consistently uphold the principles of democracy to ensure the confidence of voters and maximize representation of all citizens of the United States of America. You can sign up for updates here: http://michiganelectionreformalliance.org/
- Those in District 1 have a retiring US representative in Dan Benishek who is no longer willing or interested in listening to his constituents. His replacement, Jack Bergman, does not begin until sworn in on January 3. It is not too early to start chatting with him. Try his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/bergmanforcongress/; or this email: email@example.com; or his Twitter account: https://twitter.com/JackBergman_MI1
- This information gives one pause. We need to find a way to correcting this situation in our state. http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/12/10/what-if-michigan-held-key-presidential-election/95142214/